Wirral, Merseyside, United Kingdom
Nigel Morris teaches in the northwest and also works as a freelance designer and illustrator. He has been a member of NAPA for 10 years and is their current treasurer.
THE NAZCA SERIES
These have been inspired by the symbols and patterns constructed on the Peruvian desert known as the plain of Nazca by an ancient race of people the purpose of which is still a mystery. Inspiration is also derived from aerial photographs and maps produced of the area as part of the research undertaken by Dr. Marie Richie.
MAPPING AND NAVIGATION SERIES
This work has been developed over a number of years and has its origins in the making of collagraph mapping plates. They take their inspiration from map making and methods by which we find ways, traversing the landscape or space using navigational charts and taking bearings from objects in the sky or the landscape. Ideas come from both early mapping of the earth in the form of Portolan charts found in early pilotage books and from modern satellite and computer mapping.
- The Williamson Art Gallery & Museum, 2011:
- Cat No 79: "Duel of Eagles" 55x42cms
- View Two Gallery Liverpool, 2009:
- Cat No 58: "Adrift"
- Cat No 59: "Nazca Spiral II"
- Cat No 61: "Sand Bank Safe Water to the East"
- Obsidian Art, 2008:
- Cat No 60: "Plain of Nazca"
- Cat No 62: "Nazca Lines + Lizard I"
- Cat No 63: "Sandbank, Safe Water to the East"
- Cat No 64: "Ancient Water Course"
- Cat No 65: "Fault Line I"
- The Williamson Art Gallery & Museum, 2004:
- Cat No 121: "The RNAS on Manoeuvres" 62.3 x 44.5cms
- Cat No 122: "'Phoenix Rising' Phantom GR2 56SQ" 67.3 X 52.1cms
- Cat No 123: "'Mustang' P51 B. Mustang" 67.3 X 52.1cms
- Cat No 125: "Atlantic Patrol Liberator Mk 1" 55.5 x 46cms
- Cat No 126: "Follow the Balloons" 30 x 22.9cms
- The Crypt (former Mariners) Gallery, 2003:
- Cat No 52: "Turnstones"
- Cat No 53: "QE2 Arrives in the Mersey"
- Cat No 54: "Heron on the Canal"
- The Crypt (former Mariners) Gallery, 2002:
- Cat No 40: "Navigational Error" 29.2 x 24.7cms
- Cat No 41: "Celestial Navigation" 29.2 x 24.7cms
- Cat No 42: "Portolan Chart & Profiles" 41.9 x 31.1cms